Cthulhu incense burner, finally here...

Music, Art, Movies - Let us know!

Moderators: mgmirkin, Moderators

Secret3
Librarian
Librarian

Cthulhu incense burner, finally here...

Post by Secret3 »

I felt that this would be perfect for adding ambiance to a CoC gaming session, or for a summoning perhaps. You want the Elder Gods to be pleasantly impressed when they come to eat you after all.
Jesus Prime

Post by Jesus Prime »

I think you might want a picture from a different angle, it kinda looks like a flipper form this one. Tone and textures looks nice, though.
Adrian wrote:TELL ME YOU ORDERED THE FUCKING GOLF SHOES!
Adrian wrote:I sure love my pudding.
Yog-Sothoth

Post by Yog-Sothoth »

cool, id buy that, how much?
Secret3
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Secret3 »

I'm going to be listing them at $27.00 in my eBay store. If you would rather buy one directly I'll cut your price to $24.00 US plus shipping (because I'd rather not give eBay the fees if I can help it). Just send me a PM if you're interested.
Secret3
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Secret3 »

I have these available at eBay now, in new finishes of antique ivory and glossy black. They look much better than the charcoal grey posted above (IMO).
Here's glossy black;
And the ivory finish, this shows how it looks as a wall hanging;
Yog-Sothoth

Post by Yog-Sothoth »

so, what part of Cthulhu is this? cause it looks more like a squid, not octopuss
JJ Burke
Old One

Post by JJ Burke »

nah, squids have those fins on their heads, and they're pointy like the pope's hat. anyway, i never thought it was a good idea to think of cthulhu too much in terms of earth creatures.. this incense burner gives me a vaguely aquatic but overall alien impression, so i think it does the job.
Secret3
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Secret3 »

In the interest of academia...

I don't think Lovecraft ever said it looked exactly like an octopus. He wrote of the cult's sculpture that it conjured images of an octopus, a dragon, a human- but it was none of these. He also wrote that it was a "cephalopod" head, which could be anything from a nautilus to a cuttlefish. I think it was meant to look exactly like none of these. Obviously these creatures were used as reference because they <i>closest resembled</i> the overall impression depicted on the stone sculpture of this totally alien entity.
The sculpture was described as having a pulpy tentacled head...whose face was a mass of feelers... it was pretty open for interpretation. And these descriptions were only actually applied to the stylized sculptures. Of Cthulhu himself, we have only this;

"The Thing cannot be described..."

Besides, the only really obvious differences between squid and octopus is the external shell, which is not present in this sculpture, and the sweeper tentacles, which again are perhaps suggested here but they are nothing like a squids' tentacles- they more resemble earthworms actually.

Before starting a project, I always do my homework!
Yog-Sothoth

Post by Yog-Sothoth »

ahh, okay. well that one famous picture of Cthulhu that is seen in the Wikipedia page for Cthulhu is the way that i think really looks like him. so cthulhu bong?
Secret3
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Secret3 »

You didn't like the idea of the King Bong? Seriously though, I just don't have time to manufacture drug paraphernalia; I barely have enough time to make legitimate art!
Yog-Sothoth

Post by Yog-Sothoth »

ahh well..... ill just take some sculpy and throw it onto some PVC pipes. unless you can Suply me with a large mold of Cthulhu that i could put over it.
Jesus Prime

Post by Jesus Prime »

That ivory finsih looks well, man.
Yog-Sothoth

Post by Yog-Sothoth »

hey, Secret, could you make us(us as in the Church of Cthulhu) a Large Cthulhu Mask, Gloves, and wings? in one of our rituals, The Ritual of Calling, it requires the Priest to be Dressed up as Cthulhu, and the Priestes Dressed as Nyarlathotep. for Nyarlatotep, we just need the mask, no gloves. well, could you do it? im not asking if you will do it, im asking if you possibly could.
Jesus Prime

Post by Jesus Prime »

Oh my Lord, he's practising pulp 'literary' rituals...

What medium do you make the masters in, Secret?
Secret3
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Secret3 »

I don't really make latex type props, Yog, though I have seen Cthulhu masks on eBay from time to time.

J.P., I do most of my sculpting in wax. I guess it's old fashioned, but I enjoy it.